Thursday, June 23, 2005

WWE Draft Picks, Week 3

Another interesting week, though, to me, not as interesting as the last two weeks.

Carlito's on Raw and he's already made a splash by winning the Intercontinental title. Not sure what to make of this move, since I hadn't seen much of Carlito while he was on Smackdown. I remember he was doing Carlito's Cabana, a Piper's Pit style show for a while. If he's still doing that, then we may see him feud with Chris Jericho over who would get the rights to do an interview show, since Jericho semi-regularly has his own Piper's Pit in the form of The Highlight Reel. Two of these features would be redundant, so they could always fight it out over who gets to do it. It's angle I've never seen before. Besides, I'm sure Jericho wouldn't mind winning that Intercontinental title, either. Although, maybe they'll just move Jericho to Smackdown in the coming weeks (Which might also solve the problem of BOTH the Heavyweight Championship AND the WWE title both being on Raw if Jericho gets the WWE title at Vengeance).

Meanwhile, Muhammad Hassan and Daivari go to Smackdown. Quick question: Since when are draft picks a package deal? Shouldn't Hassan have been one pick and Daivari another? Anyway, who cares. I feel so sorry for Smackdown, as I absolutely hate Hassan's angle as an irate Iraqi who's in the WWE to get revenge for the American invasion of Iraq. I hate it when wrestling ties to get political. It's always so dumb, unsubtle and mindless, usually just fueling the audience's prejudices against foreigners. Because of this, I cannot stand to watch these two, which is too bad and rather unfair to Hassan as he's a skilled in-ring performer. At least on Smackdown there might be some fun with Hassan being played against JBL, the WWE's analogue to George Bush.

So far, I think Raw's gotten the better picks: Cena - Current WWE champ and, arguably, the company's largest draw; Angle - One of the company's best in-ring performers; Carlito - See above. Smackdown has gotten: Benoit - Great performer; Orton - Reliable, young "Legend-killer"; Hassan and Daivari - Ugh. To me it really looks like Raw is ahead. Combine that with Smackdown's upcoming move to Friday nights (Never a good night for television ratings) and I have to wonder what the state of that show is going to be...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home